Sunday, September 6, 2009

Laboring on Labor Day

Today I went to work and Tracy went to school just like any other Monday, but it isn't another Monday. It's Labor Day.

I'm confused. Aren't we supposed to have Labor Day off? Isn't it a national holiday? I found out that Labor Day was created to celebrate "the social and economic achievements of American workers" (United States Department of Labor) and give the working man (or woman) one day's rest he (or she) rightfully has earned. Even though I've worked at my new job for only one week, I worked well over forty hours (actually closer to fifty hours) doing rather frustrating tasks with people not too eager to help out. Why does Texas hate the common worker?

I'm happy I have a job--don't get me wrong--but getting a day off is always nice.

I got another job at the Texas A&M Writing Center, and coordinating two schedules is way more difficult than I thought it would be. But again, I'm grateful for my jobs, and I will work hard. Too bad I don't have a holiday to celebrate my labor!

2 comments:

  1. I had to work too. Super lame!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hardest Labor Day was 27 years ago when I was in labor with a 7 pound 8 ounce Karen. Now that is a true Labor Day! To you I say, "Work til you drop, have a good attitude and be grateful you have a job...or two." I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete