Thursday, September 24, 2009

Working/The Plague of Texas


I have finally reconciled three work schedules and am finally working at all of them. I don't do much else, but I am working. Yay!!

Last Saturday, I worked at the home football game on the third deck in a trailer full of shirts, hats, stuffed animals, and other memorabilia. By the middle of the third quarter, I wished the game would end soon. It wasn't too busy or too slow. It was warm but not unbearable outside. What was the problem? Moses sent the plague of locusts to Texas, and they were all at Kyle Field. Every shirt and hat was covered with inch-long crickets, moths, gnats, and other creepy crawlers.

By the fourth quarter, I was swatting in every direction like a madwoman. When the alumni left their seats at the end of the game, I heard tons of horror stories about crickets landing on people's faces and shirts and crawling down people's shirts and about people's needing to basically brush and groom the backs of those in front of them because of all the bugs. Yuck!!!

Above is a picture from Texas A&M's student newspaper depicting the conditions at the game. Yes, all those black things are crickets. The headline above this picture read, "Bugging Brazos County." I'm glad I'm not the only one. Tracy tells me that in late October the bugs will go away. Needless to say, I'm counting down the days and praying for seagulls to come and eat all those nasty crickets. What did I do to upset you, Moses?

3 comments:

  1. Ew. Ew ew ew ew EW. I would not stand for that. I am sorry, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be the sickest thing I have ever seen. I thought you were exaggerating when you texted me. Gross. There are just no words. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud that you didn't totally lose it, abandon your post and run home from that game. Request: Do not raise any of my grandchildren in Texas during bug season!

    ReplyDelete