Thursday, October 31, 2013

Redhead Costumes



When I was little, I hated my red hair. I didn’t know anyone else with red hair, and I didn’t recall seeing many actors with red hair, except orphan Annie, but let’s face it, her crazy bushy curls are a little less than cute.

I saw plenty of redhead cartoon characters like Ariel, Rogue, Mrs. Frizzle, etc. Although I liked these characters, each of them did not even resemble a real, normal person. Ariel is a mermaid, a mythological creature. Rogue is one of the X-Men, a group of “gifted” heroes ostracized for their differences from humans. Mrs. Frizzle, however cool and however much I respected her, is one of the most strangely dressed teachers ever. Not the strongest candidates for making a young redhead feel more normal in appearance.

Luckily, I eventually got over my aversion to my natural hair color and have grown to love it. I see it as something that makes me special and beautiful.

Although I still like generic costumes that anyone can do, I now also embrace those costumes that belong specifically to redheads, such as these:

Merida (Brave, which is my costume this year!! See below)
Giselle (Enchanted)
Black Widow (Avengers)
Princess Fiona (Shrek)
Poison Ivy (Batman)
Lucy (I Love Lucy)
Ariel (Little Mermaid)
Rogue (X-Men cartoon)
Jean Grey (newer X-Men movies)
Redhead sitcom characters (How I Met Your Mother, Madmen, True Blood, etc.)
Mrs. Frizzle (Magic School Bus)
Wilma (Flintstones)
Leprecaun or Irish lass
Ginger Spice (if you’ve got the rest of the Spice Girls)
MaryJane (Spiderman, but you’ll need Spiderman)
Jessica Rabbit (Roger Rabbit’s wife, for those who don’t mind showing skin)
Satine (Moulin Rouge, for those who want to be a smoldering temptress)
Strawberry or Orange (particularly for babies or toddlers)
Fox (or any reddish animal)
Pippy Longstocking
Raggedy Anne
Orphan Annie

This year, I am dressing up as Merida, although only from the waist up as you can see. Hehe.



1 comment: