Monday, November 11, 2013

NaNoWriMo Update #2

"Writing is an extreme privilege but it's also a gift. It's a gift to yourself and it's a gift of giving a story to someone." -- Amy Tan

"There is no great writing. There is only great rewriting." --Justice Brandeis

Day 11 
Words: 20,457
Pages in Word: 40
Estimated mass market paperback pages: 82 pages
Days remaining: 19

After eleven days into the NaNoWriMo challenge, my first wind or high from doing this challenge has started to fade, and now comes the exhausting reality of writing so much in a short amount of time. It is now time to push until my second wind. Like in running, I could quit or slow down now after my first wind, convinced that I have done enough, more than I have in the past. I could, but I won't. I have to dig deep for motivation and drive. Even on days when I feel tired, when I feel overwhelmed with other tasks, when I run out of ideas or specific words I want to use, I have to keep writing. I want to finish this challenge, and what's more, I actually want to see this novel exist on paper, rather than just in my head.

Everyone needs a support system when conquering a marathon. Tracy reminds me daily to push beyond my goal word per day count, so that if I need to miss a day for whatever reason, I will have that flexibility. I'm sure when Thanksgiving Day rolls around, I will be grateful for his nagging, I mean, his advice, and for the extra time I worked every day to build a buffer.

Friends have asked if they can read my novel when I finish this month, to which I reply, "After I have a few months of revision, maybe." Because I know inconsistencies, repetitions, remnants of past plot ideas, and usage errors are sprinkled throughout the story already. Perhaps one day I will have gained the confidence and courage to share this story with others, but until then I ask for patience.

In my next post, I will share the plot of my story, so stay tuned. Happy writing!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you're still pushing. And that Tracy is still nagging, er, helping you push yourself!

    ReplyDelete