Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Drunk

When Tracy started his first day at WSU, his geology classmates found out that we are LDS. I was surprised when Tracy told me that several of his new friends shared their concern for our ability to make friends in the geology department since we don't drink and since the geology department here is notorious for their drinking. Since the bars in Washington forbid smoking inside, we figured that we could still go out with them and have a good time--even if we don't drink.
Well, we went to a bar with them last night, and I felt pretty good about myself and our standards. Although a lot of people in our group drank a few beers, they maintained control of themselves, respected our decision not to drink, and acted like civilized human beings.
But looking around at the other groups, I genuinely questioned why anyone would ever want to even flirt with the possibility of overdrinking. Several men yelled at the top of their lungs for no reason at TVs or the bartenders or whoever was there.
We saw a really unattractive old man (probably in his sixties) wrap his arms around five different girls (probably in their twenties) at different times and dirty dance with a few of them. Talk about disgusting! I wanted to hurl.
I wondered how many beers he had had when I asked myself the real question: how many beers had those girls had that would make them feel that dancing with this gross old man was a good idea.
Anyway, people will continue to drink despite how stupid they act, and I will continue to shake my head, point and laugh, and wonder why someone would willingly do such a thing to themselves. I'll drink to that! Cheers!!

1 comment:

  1. Funny stuff. Whatever you do don't go to a karaoke bar. Those are the worst. What? Don't judge, I went with my in-laws.

    ReplyDelete