Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks


I would kick myself if I didn't write a blog expressing my thanks. Obviously, I can't include everything I am grateful for, so I'll just mention the ones that have been on my mind lately.

I am grateful for ice cream. It makes my work week melt away as it melts in my mouth. Just talking about ice cream makes me want some.

Tracy is grateful for his alarm clock, because he would be late for work and class every day without it. It is his drill sergeant, and it gets him going. Thanks, alarm clock!

But seriously...

I am so grateful for family. This may seem too generic or boring, but in saying that I am grateful for family, I communicate much more. I am grateful for my husband, my best friend, who has done so much for me to make me feel loved and happy. I am grateful for parents, who love and support me and who have taught me how to be a good human being. I am grateful for siblings, who have been brilliant examples of love and true friendship. I am grateful that I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which declares that families can be together forever. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, who gave his Son so that I may return to Him.

I am so thankful for the written word. I can't describe the feelings and thoughts that race through me when I read beautifully crafted writing. So much of who I am comes from what I have read. Some reading has forced me to evaluate my life, ponder aspects of humanity, search my soul, stretch my faith, and dig deeper into myself and into truth. The written word can communicate almost any emotion or idea. Even though most of the words I see at work and on a daily basis are for school assignments and for putting me asleep, I treasure my literacy.

I am so grateful for music. Sometimes even more powerful than the written word, music communicates emotions audibly. I'm in awe of those who can arrange notes in a manner that is compelling and moving.

I thank God for beautiful moments. I suppose all the things I have already expressed thanks for fit under this category. I live for those tiny moments when my breath catches in my chest and I have an "ah ha!" moment. They come at different times: sometimes when Tracy holds my hand, when a book or poem makes me laugh or cry or contemplate, when I see my family all around me as we talk in the living room, when I see a beautiful painting, when a beautiful song makes my heart pound. And the message of the "ah ha!" moment varies: I am loved, family rocks!, this is what heaven must be like, this is exactly what I've always wanted in life, I need to change, and others like these.

But beyond just giving thanks through words, I think it is also important to give thanks to those around me by serving them. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I am grateful for all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment